Olam International Limited is one of the world’s leading agribusinesses, directly sourcing commodities from over 3.9 million farmers worldwide. In addition to managing supply chains from seed to shelf; it operates in a number of other commodity businesses.
This project aims to scale up Olam’s coffee farm gate procurement supply chain in Uganda from the current 8,000 to 20,000 households. This scale-up project will improve yields and incomes by providing smallholders with better access to financing of inputs, training in good agricultural practices (GAP), mobile communications and payments, producer organisational (PO) development, and additional value-added services.
Scaling financial access through managing the supply chain
Mr. Jeremy Dufour, Environment and Social Manager- Olam’s South and East African region,Olam Uganda Limited
- FRP contribution: USD 1,553,634
- Match funds: USD 1,898,885
- Project period: 2 years
- Reach: 100,000 people (assuming 5 people per household)
- Jobs: 42, of which 45% for women and 40% for youth
- Systemic Change: Assured access to buyers of produce lead to more risk taking and diversification, leading to improved productivity and economic growth for farmers